Thursday, October 9, 2008

Yet Another View

My family and I live in the very small town of Steilacoom (pronounced "stillacum"). Located just south of Seattle Washington, Steilacoom sits quietly along the beautiful shores of the Puget Sound. It's a quaint little single stop light town that time seems to have forgotten. There are only a couple of ways to get in and out of town and most take you either through dense old growth forest or down a beautiful drive that hugs the coastline of the Sound. And though it takes a bit longer, I usually take one of these more "scenic" routes in and out of town simply because these routes are more interesting and picturesque.

Until now, I thought I had found all of the great places along these picturesque routes to shoot photography and over the past couple years I've shot photography in all of these places ten times over. Well, the other day as I drove out of town, I saw a path that I had never noticed before. This path appeared to lead up a large hill that runs along the road, rising from the sound, as you leave town. As a photog I immediately said to myself...new vantage point!

So the other night I threw the camera in the car and drove over. I had to park at the parking lot at Sunnyside Beach and walk along the Chambers Creek Road about a quarter mile to reach the trail head. As I started to climb, aside from realizing how out of shape I've become in my old age, I started to realize that this was really going to provide a great view. Reaching the top of the hill I turned around and my suspicions had been confirmed...yet another beautiful view of town.

After all the years I've been here, the one thing that simply amazes me about this part of the county is as soon as you think you've seen it all, you turn another corner and there's yet again, another spectacularly beautiful place to shoot. It's then that you realize that you've only scratched the surface of all the Pacific North West has to offer.

The first shot you see in this post(above) is the best shot I got from the top of the hill overlooking Steilacoom. I thought I would also include some of my shots from past shoots around town...enjoy.

A view of town from Sunnyside Beach

The wagon shop and the Ore Home in the background are some of the original structures still standing after more that 150 years.

A couple takes in a beautiful sunset over the Sound from one of the many waterfront parks in Steilacoom

Low tide reveals the pillars of an old dock located at Sunnyside Beach

On rare ocasion we actually get a good thunderstorm that produces good lightning. Great fun for a shooter.

One of the Puget Sounds oldest ferries waiting to take cars and passengers to Anderson Island just accross the Sound.

Chambers Bay Golf Course
Located in Steilacoom, this beautiful course will host the US Open, I believe, in 2012

This bridge takes you over the train tracks down to Salter's Point Beach. To stand on this bridge as a fully loaded freight train passes under at full speed is an exhilarating experience that one never forgets. It is a favorite pass time for residents here in Steilacoom.

Just recently these new luxery homes have popped up just up the street from Sunnyside Beach. Just recently the residents here in Steilacoom have fought hard against new developement that would ruin the rustic charm of this old community.

Early Morning In Fort Steilacoom Park

No comments: