Friday, October 3, 2008

With Fall Comes The Fair


Around here unfortunately, with Fall comes the wind and rain. However, just before everyone hunkers down for the long gray winter to come, we all take the kids out of school, play hookie from work and head to the fair. Every September in Western Washington we all "Do The Puyallup." The Puyallup Fair that is, and yes for all of you not from these parts, that's pronounced "Pew-Yallup." I know, weird name, but a really great fair. I've "Done The Puyallup" almost every year since coming here back in 2001. But only this year have I had a real camera in my hand. I wanted a day at the fair dedicated only to taking pictures so I actually "Did The Puyallup" twice this year. Once with the family and then again with a fellow photog. The evening that Patrick and I went we were blessed with a really unique sunset. The clouds reminded me of jelly fish floating through the evening sky. It made for a spectacular back drop for the fair.

Shooting at the fair is great during the day but extremely cool at night. Good Cameras allow you to control how much light enters the camera and also for how long. When you allow for a long exposure, basically opening up the camera for a couple of seconds, the lights leave trails. This is what turns the Ferris wheels into what look like wildly colorful Bicycle tires. It's just the coolest. But leave the camera open too long and too much light is let in creating an overexposed picture which is bad.

Like every year the fair comes and goes. Along with the wind and rain it's a signal of the passing of Summer into Fall. And with Fall soon comes winter and we all stay in doors to stay dry. Next September when the Puyallup rolls around again, I'll be there (hopefully with better lenses). Over the years I have really come to love the fair, not only because it's a great time to shoot but it's just really a great time. And oh by the way, if you ever go, you gotta get the scones, I never leave the fair without at least a baker's dozen.

An unusual sunset falls over the fair

My kids enjoying their fourth ride on the Scrambler! It always was my favorite too!


Splash Down
An interesting trio recovers from a soaking on the water ride

Night Approaches at The Puyallup

Waiting to Ride

The Ferris Wheel at the Puyallup Fair

Hamburger Meyers...The best burger at the fair

My Son Brandon rethinking his decision to ride the fastest ride at the fair.

My son Brandon "really" rethinking his decision to ride the fastest ride at the fair.

Looking down the Midway

Our visit to the fair ends on a high note with a concert by legendary performer Al Jurreau. What a treat!


Until next year!

No comments: